Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Durham Science Exploration

I went to where my dad once worked, on December 5th, 1945. It wasn’t cold, but it wasn’t hot. It had closed down earlier that year, but my dad hadn’t gone to get his stuff yet. I never Knew what went on inside the Dunham Science Exploration Building, the story changes every time we ask dad what he did. I was suspended for this week, for drug use, so my parents always have to be watching me. Since my mom’s working, dad had to drag me out here, that’s the only reason why I am currently with him in that radiation whole of a place.
When we got inside, my dad pulled over a grungy old seat that had a metal sign saying “Experiment do NOT touch.”
“Dad the sign says ‘do Not touch‘, so I think I’m gonna follow directions. ‘Kay?” smiled my your-stupid smile.
“Elizabeth Ann Ashford, you sit in this chair, or wait in that car!” My dad was never this tense, his eyes were filled with paranoid worry. Like that look those girls get in the horror movies when they start to jump at their own shadows, then the villain pops out right behind them.
“I’ll be in the car then, ‘kay?” I say knowing right away ‘ five minutes and run.’ That’s the rule me and some of my friend came up with.
I’m walking out the doors, when I see some of those snot nosed brats that no one gets along with, unless you’re just like them. “Figures you’re down here, in gheto-land.” I say snickering walking down to face them. I get there and take one look at their faces and think ‘I got ‘em scared’
“What’s wrong?” I say imitating a baby. “Is a big bad wolf coming to get you?” I start to laugh, then see where they’re looking; not at me but at the building.
Dude, you went in there and survived without any bruises?” The leader Vick says seriously surprised.
“Uh, yeah. There’s only a few things knocked over and lot’s of spider webs, not all that scary.” trying to act cool was obviously working.
“The other day a guy went in there and still hasn’t come out!” The short blonde says.
I stare at one of the con-artists and say, “Right, and how long did you guys wait for him? And why were you even watching him?”
“From noon to 9, his car’s still here, ‘n’ we were gonna mug him, DUH!” They all laugh at the blonde’s ‘joke’
I look around for the car, and low and behold, there it was, a Honda CR-v with the front left window rolled down.
“Dude, if you were smart you’d stay out of there, and walk away.” Vick was seriously scared, it’s not like he’s the one on the inside.
“Can’t, dad’s inside pickin’ up some old crap.” I say leaning against the door.
“Well, if you cared even the slightest bit about your dad, then you’d get him out!” This time it was the quiet red head. He sat there staring me down. He keeps quiet because he’s a horrible lire, yet there he was, sitting there telling my dad was in danger at this old work. Something didn’t quite sit right in the pit of my stomach.
“My dad’s a big boy, he can take care of himself” I heard a scream of pain that sounded a lot like my dad, coming from inside the building. I stood up abruptly turning to the doors, but Once more I turn to Vick’s warning eyes, and walk in, cussing under my breathe.
“Aw shit!” It was my dad, and he was in serious pain. I ran faster then tripped. I felt a breeze on my face, then a slight tug on my long black hair, like someone or thing stepped on it. I got up fast and ran to where my dad had been. I called out, “daddy, where are you?” There was no response. “DAD? JOHN? Hello?” I called over and over, hoping, praying for an answer. nothing. I ran back to the doors and looked through the window. I see Vick and the gang watching the door intently, and decide not to give them the satisfaction of watching me get the shit scared out of me.
I laughed slightly to my self. I turn slowly, checking every shadow for anything. Again I called for my dad with no response. I give up hope then shout, “someone just fucking answer me already, Godadmmit!”
“I have a name you know.” says a close voice. I look up quickly, and see a pale face right in front if me and scream involuntarily. “Oh come now, I’m not that scary, am I?” It sounded hurt. Slowly it rose, stepping into the only working light.
He wasn’t necessarily scary, but abnormal. He looked about fifteen, had black hair, and was crying. He had cuts in his arms and face, and wires hanging from his spine.
“I’m sorry It’s just when you’re used to a house with a three year old boy, two anal parents, and three dogs, and not to mention you’ve been sitting alone in a freaky science Exploration building, you don’t expect to see a guy just randomly come up to you, In the middle if a break down.” I say sliding down the wall and sit down folding my legs to my chest and then resting my head on my knees. “And that’s why I don’t have any friends,” I add for no reason whatsoever.
“Well,” He said shyly, “I’ll be your friend, that is, if you want to be mine.” He smiled sweetly.
I Started crying silently. I nodded and whispered “Thanks” I thought it was so soft that he couldn’t hear. He came over and hugged me, and whispered in my ear, “Your Welcome, and really pretty.” I was shocked.
He pulled away then excitedly the grabbed my hand and whisked me to where he was ‘made’ as he phrased it. “My dad brought me to work with him one day, along time ago. They were in the process of trying to find to improve the soldiers, something went wrong , and the missed their deadline. After that the government shut them down. They put me in a cage and left me here. I’m not dangerous just easily freaked out and built with a lot of power. Yeah I tore the place up one day when I got bored.” He looked away watching the scene replay in his head. “I’m not used to being alone, but one thing did come out of my rampage that day. We where standing in front of a huge tree that grew through the middle of the building. Intertwined in it’s branches was scraps of metal and furniture. I was shocked, It may have been the world’s largest tree house!
It was a good 8 ft. off the ground, and had three separate sections that look like a living room, a playroom, and a bedroom. It was so elaborate and completely sturdy that it I could have sworn that I was dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment